Monday, September 26, 2011

A few more DJ blocks

Even though these were completed back in June, they've not yet been revealed here and each one of these babies is a gem, so I don't want to leave any out!

This first one was a real bugger, but only because the pieces were sooo small! This cutie is M-4, called Stepping Stones, has 49 pieces (in a 4.5 inch block...really) and was mostly paper pieced. Now that it's done, I think it's pretty cute and I'm so glad I don't have to make it again! Even at a normal size like 10", this would still have a lot of little pieces! Can you imagine making a quilt out of this???


 This one is M-9, Fan Dance has 28 pieces and was paper pieced. I think it would be cuter with more contrast, but it's done!

 I really like this next one a lot! It is M-8, Enchanted Square, has 31 pieces and was paper pieced.


Here are a couple of peaks at The Quilt. This one is taken as I was machining the binding on. Let me tell you, nothing goes quickly with this quilt. You just have to take your time! You can see a little bit of what an absolutely wonderful job Sue did quilting her! I think this part of the process took 2-3 hours.


And here's a teaser of the back....Isn't it the most wonderful quilt? I can't believe it's mine. Even more, I can't believe I am actually about to finish it!

 

Boy, there were times when I really wasn't sure this was ever going to be finished. At least not by me. I remember when I was first diagnosed with cancer, going down to my sewing room and staring at this quilt and wondering a) would there be enough time for me to finish this quilt, b) if my time was that short, did I really want to spend it in my sewing room quilting anyway (certainly there were more important things to be doing and people to be with!), c) if I wasn't going to get it done, who should I be leaving it to that would be blessed, not burdened by it. Oh boy, thank God, thank.the.Dear. Lord. He spared me. And the least of reasons was for this quilt. But when you tackle a long term project like this, I hope you can see that it is a measure for (of?) your life to some degree. As you are plodding through the process, you are also marking times of your life. Okay, well, I'm glad I've made this quilt and I'm equally glad the process is almost over! If tacking down this binding continues at the current pace, it will be done in about 6 hours. Really.

Think there's only 2 or 3 more blocks I haven't yet shared, but will do that soon!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to own my own quilt. Lovely work <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! This is terrific!! Congratulations on the finish & good luck with your health.
    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete